ArmInfo. The UN is ready to assist in providing assistance to the population affected by the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh. Alessandra Vellucci, Director of the United Nations Information Service (UNIS) in Geneva stated on Tuesday.
"The UN is monitoring very closely the mass movements towards Armenia, and we are very concerned about what is happening. We are ready to: assess humanitarian needs and provide assistance to affected people: We are ready to support relief efforts," Ms. Vellucci said at a briefing in Geneva, Ria Novosti reports.
At the same time, representative of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Shabia Mantoo, called on all parties to refrain from actions that could force the civilian population to leave their homes, and to ensure the safety of residents. She stated that UNHCR teams are deployed in southern Armenia and are closely monitoring the situation. At the same time, the department, at the request of the Armenian government, has already provided some non-food support, including folding beds and mattresses. "UNHCR is preparing further assistance and is working closely with local authorities and partners," she said.
On September 19, Azerbaijan, under the pretext of an "anti-terrorist operation," undertook another act of aggression against Artsakh. As a result of enemy aggression, hundreds of Artsakh residents were injured, more than 200 deaths were reported, including civilians, and more than 10,000 were evacuated.
On September 20, Artsakh fell. Azerbaijan began the forcible subjugation of the NKR. On September 20, late in the evening it became known that Azerbaijan had deliberately shot at the car of the Russian peacekeeping contingent, killing 5 people, including the deputy commander of the RPC. Today, there were reports that one soldier was killed and another was wounded as a result of shooting at another RPCvehicle. On September 21, a meeting between representatives of Baku and Stepanakert was held in Yevlakh. Azerbaijan demanded the disarmament of the Artsakh Defense Army, the surrender of all military personnel and the abolition of all government bodies.
On September 22, the process of abolishing the Artsakh Defense Army began. There are reports that the enemy side exterminated the population of the villages captured on September 19-20. During search operations from September 21 to 24, the NKR Ministry of Internal Affairs discovered the bodies of 105 Artsakh residents, including brutally murdered children and elderly people.
As of the morning of September 26, more than 13 thousand forcibly displaced Artsakh residents had already arrived in Armenia. The night before it also became known that Artsakh was connected to the energy system of Azerbaijan. Protests demanding the resignation of the RA Prime Minister continue in Yerevan and regions.
We add that as a result of the explosion that took place in the fuel depot near Stepanakert yesterday, according to preliminary data, more than 290 people were injured, 20 more died, there are still missing people.
The EU stated that it would allocate an additional 5 million euros to assist internally displaced people from Artsakh. Earlier today, USAID Administrator Samantha Power, who is on a visit to Armenia, said that "the United States will provide Armenia with support in the amount of $11.5 million for the humanitarian needs of people displaced from Nagorno-Karabakh."
In addition, as ArmInfo previously reported with reference to the Swedish Ambassador to Armenia, Sweden, through the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), allocated 15 million Swedish kronor to the International Committee of the Red Cross to meet the humanitarian needs of the population of Nagorno-Karabakh.
READ ALL COMMENTS